universal jurisdiction

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Thu Aug 9 10:03:04 PDT 2001

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Lawrence wrote:

> Didn't America actually start this trend back in the 1790s or early 1800s? I
> remember in high school we were taught the case but I don't remember it well
> now. Something about a British person who tortured captured American
> sailors, and then decades later the same British guy was found living in
> America, and one of the sailors wanted to prosecute him, though the crime
> had happened in another country? And the Supreme Court said okay?

The US definitely is unique in a few attitudes. First, US citizens can be prosecuted for breaking a US law even when outside the US. And secondly, and most amazingly, the US prosecutes non-citizens for breaking US laws in another country. Dmitry Sklyarov, a Russian, was arrested by the FBI for violating the DMCA, even though the software that is alledgedly illegal was made and sold OUTSIDE THE US in Russia.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ PGP Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 icq: 120941588

Thou art God and I am God and all that groks is God, and I am all that I have ever been or seen or felt or experienced.

-Mike