Speaking of universal jurisdiction

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Thu Aug 9 12:35:09 PDT 2001

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> So, in short our institutions of government kill children, engage in
> war crimes, and oppress women as matters of established policy. One
> needs no independent evidence to prove these charges since they are
> matters of US law. Hence, our refusal to ratify them.

According to the UNICEF link, a "child" is anyone up to the age of 18. It isn't surprising that a treaty that can not distinguish between a mentally impaired 6 year old that suffocates an infant and a 17 year old rapist and cold blooded killer is not quickily ratified by the US, a country fixated on teen-violence.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ PGP Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 icq: 120941588

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

-Prof