Palestinians and Kosovars (Re: lbo-talk-digest V1 #4706

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 9 13:41:19 PDT 2001

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Luke Weiger wrote several obiter dicta and posted a review by Aryeh Neier of Chomsky's *The New Military Humanism*. I'll post separately Chomsky's answer, which is hard to find on the web.

On some specific points,

[1] The 1.3 million "displaced refugees" from Kosovo fled from the NATO bombing, and the majority of them by a bit were Serbs.

[2] There may have been "a lack of concern on the left for atrocities in the former Yugoslavia," but what I heard was a concern for an accurate assessment of who was responsible for atrocities, rather than an easy acceptance of US/NATO propaganda, which quickly installed Milosevic in the role of new Hitler, recently vacated by Saddam Hussein. The further we get from the US attack on Serbia, the more we learn about, e.g., how the "CIA, working largely through corporate-sector firms such as Military Professional Resources Inc. and DynCorp, had been aiding and training the KLA prior to the bombing, and KLA representatives have openly acknowledged that they were trying to provoke the Serbs to actions that would provide NATO with the jus belli that it was looking for to launch the war. (See Tom Walker and Aidan Laverty, 'CIA aided Kosovo guerrilla army,' Sunday Times (London), March 12, 2000; Peter Beaumont, Ed Vulliamy and Paul Beaver, 'CIA's bastard army ran riot in Balkans,' The Observer (London), March 11, 2001; and Rory Carroll, 'Crisis in the Balkans: West struggles to contain monster of its own making,' The Guardian (London), March 12, 2001).)" Note that we have to go to foreign media for this information.

[3] The posted review clearly shows that Aryeh Neier was annoyed by one of Chomsky's books. As Chomsky remarked, "It appears that my discussion of U.S. crimes and what we could easily do about them is of little significance to him in comparison with what should have been done about the other fellow's crimes" --apparently a common opinion.

--CGE