Beeson & Singer/ prenatal diagnosis

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Aug 9 17:56:43 PDT 2001

At 08:39 PM 8/9/01 -0400, Gordon Fitch wrote:
>The flesh is weak, but the spirit is willing.
>
>I think you've seriously misconstrued my use of the term, by
>the way, but maybe your misconstrual will prove more entertaining
>than my use, so I won't totalitarianistically object.

i would still like to know how it is that failing to recognize a distinction b/t license and liberty is totalitarian.

>However
>I do want to say that I pass no judgement on my poor fertile
>neighbor. Unlike the pure, naked destructiveness of the higher
>orders, his humble propensity for reproduction is ambiguous;
>it may (theoretically) cost me taxes or help pay my Social
>Security. Allah is all-knowing.

what i thought i read: your example was in response to a question about what a trivial reason for abortion might be. you replied with the example of your neighbor. you apparently judge it a trivial exercise of the right to an abortion, correct? so you pass judgment, yes?

>But should I have given him money for cigarettes?

when i started waitressing i was 17. everyone who smoked got a break. otherwise, no one thought to give you a lunch break or other breaks because waitresses notoriously keep working in order to make their tips, preferring to eat standing in a corner or taking bites here and there between taking orders and slinging hash onto tables in front of diners.

in order to get a break like everyone else, i claimed to need to take a smoke break too! :)

maybe he doesn't smoke and wanted the money to buy a hot meal? :)