Palestinians and Kosovars (Re: lbo-talk-digest V1 #4706

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 9 22:32:14 PDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Luke Weiger wrote:

> ... I don't recall Clinton, Albright, Jennings et al. equating
> Milosevic with Hitler.

Do a search on "Hitler/Milosevic." I did a quick one and got a lot of hits, of which three below, and I haven't tried any of the more sophisticated searches, like Lexis:

[Nick Gillespie, Reason, June 1999] In his first extended attempt to explain what "this Kosovo thing is all about," Bill Clinton rhetorically asked a crowd of AFSCME union members, "What if someone had listened to Winston Churchill and stood up to Adolf Hitler earlier? How many people's lives might have been saved, and how many American lives might have been saved?" Secretary of State Madeleine Albright has, as NBC's Andrea Mitchell put it, "demonized [Milosevic] as a modern-day Hitler." Other NATO supporters have similarly penciled in a mustache on Milosevic. Reagan administration U.N. ambassador Jeane Kirkpatrick, for instance, has said that Serbian actions in Kosovo constitute "the closest thing to genocide that we have seen since Pol Pot's killing fields in Cambodia or Hitler's gas ovens in Auschwitz."

[PRNewswire, April 11, 1999] German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer [the well-known radical --CGE], drawing a comparison between the Nazi era and the current crisis in Yugoslavia, says he sees "a parallel to that primitive fascism. Obviously, the '30s are back and we cannot accept that." In the current issue of Newsweek he tells Contributing Editor Lally Weymouth: "It was a real shock for the public and the decision makers that Milosevic was ready to act like Stalin and Hitler -- to fight a war against the existence of a whole people..."

[Corpus Christi Online, March 25, 1999] ... [Rep.] Ortiz said he worried that the Kosovo situation would quickly become bloodier than any other NATO conflict before it. But he said he saw no other way to stop Slobodan Milosevic, whom he compared to Hitler for atrocities. ... Ortiz said he worried that if NATO didn't stop Milosevic, the violence would spill into Macedonia and eventually the rest of Europe...

--CGE