eco-optomism, capitalism, and food

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 01:14:22 PDT 2001

I can agree with Terry when he says that it isn't capitalism, but science that developed high yield grains. Indeed I've always thought it was important to distinguish between those developments that take place under capitalism from the system itself.

But it's increased productivity I want to defend, not its limited capitalisitic form.

On the theft of land, I would have said that the greater problem that countries like India (or Fiji, where I've just been) suffer from the failure of capitalism to develop their land, more than they do the from its tendency to do so. A considerable proportion of the people working on the land are excluded from the cash economy (and thereby from productivity increases) and left in subsistence misery.

In message <F192Xix4A2DreBBsQwY000041ed at hotmail.com>, Terry Tapp <maywildcat at hotmail.com> writes