Beeson & Singer/ prenatal diagnosis

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Aug 10 08:37:06 PDT 2001

kelley wrote:

> the hostility is a little misplaced. i disagree with the way you portray
> people's decision to have abortions in general (from quotes of 1998) and i
> disagree with you that many many people abort at the sign of a club foot.
> if there is empirical evidence otherwise, i'd love to read it.

Here is one for cleft lip. The birthrate of babies with cleft lip fell between 1982-1992 from 820 to 464 per year and the birth of babiese with Talipes (legs are not straight) fell from 2041 to 747. Both characteristic are correctable Dept. of Health (UK) Health and Personal social service statistics for England 1994 Edition Table 4.3: 24. London HMSO Priscilla Alderson p. 65 in Linda Ward ed Considered Choices British Institute of learning Disabilities 2000 A study from Israel found that the prenatal termination rate for Cleft lip was 95.8% (23 of 24 Foeten) if cleft lip was detected between 13-16 week of pregnancy Blumenfeld Z, Blumenfeld, I., Bronshtein M; (1999) The Cleft Palate Craniofacial journal 36(2) p 105-107

Your comments about my asking you about work are just absurd. No one has time for that crap. This is the last response, I mean to say that I must get some work done. YOu will find a way to pseudo-psychoanalyze that too I am certain.

Marta