Wing-Nut Site

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Fri Aug 10 09:03:03 PDT 2001

Lorenzo da Ponte, the author of the libretto of DON GIOVANNI, was, at an earlier stage in his career, a grocer in Pittsburgh, then, of course, the extremity of the frontier of European settlement.

I like to tease Italo-american friends that they shouldn't celebrate Columbus Day, which commemorates, after all, a man who initiated the slaughter of indigenous peoples. I propose Larry da Ponte as another alternative, or Guglielmo Marconi, who lived in Staten Island, or even Madonna Ciccone, though she's only half Italian.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema