lbo-talk-digest V1 #4706

Randy Steindorf grsteindorf at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 10 13:17:48 PDT 2001

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: lbo-talk-digest V1 #4706
>Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:10:48 -0400
>
>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>And no one has thought it necessary to justify coining this term. I had
>>forgotten it, but being reminded of it, I am a bit more suspicious of
>>the term 'praxis,' since 'commuicative action' seems yet another in the
>>unending series (going back to the late 19th century) of attempts to
>>dematerialize materialism, of subverting the fundamental assumption of
>>all real knowledge, the priority (in principle and in chronology) of
>>motion to thought.
>
>How do you know what & where you're going to move if you don't think
>about it first? This sounds like the materialism of fools.
>
>Doug

I am reminded of the section in Capital where Marx talks about the difference between a bee building a hive and an architect. The difference between the best of bees and the worst of architects is that the architect constructs his building in his mind before constructing it out of the material world. But from the looks of architectural design today, we have architects with serious mental problems, or at least lacking in creative foresight.

Randy