Bush the "Bafoon", or "no fool"?

Maria Gilmore maria.gilmore at gte.net
Sat Aug 11 20:10:19 PDT 2001

Mark Crispin Miller's new book "The Bush Dyslexicon" explains his take on Bush as no idiot, either. Probably the most non-intellectual president ever; as a consequence, way out of his depth in many regards, and as a result of that, sometimes overwhelmed; and he obviously didn't knock himself out hitting the books at Yale and Harvard; but none of this means a lack of intelligence per se, or a lack of purpose. Miller dissects him as a very canny political animal who relishes the blood-sport aspects of politics, he points out that Bush Jr was an integral part of the team that got his dad elected president in '88, with one of the-if not the-slimiest campaigns of the modern era. Crispin calls him no less than the long-awaited heir to the legacy of Richard Nixon at his Darth Vader worst... I think this article is a little too conspiratorial, but makes plenty of valid points... I especially liked the first paragraph--KRD

DUBYA is off on holiday after only six, hardly strenuous, months in the White House. The burden of a 30-hour week is showing. Community workers in Sighthill should be so lucky. The only fly in George's liberally applied ointment is that foreign media continue to parade him as a buffoon.