No subject

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Aug 12 20:38:12 PDT 2001

The Nation endorses Mark Green for Mayor of NYC this week. The edit says:

>He has also shown an intelligent support for good policing, rising
>out of his awareness of the primacy of public safety and the right
>to be secure in one's person as a basic human right. As he sums up,
>"I'm a proud progressive Democrat on issues like social justice,
>choice, gay rights."

Here's the full quote, which comes from an interview with the New York Times, published August 2.

>First, I'm a proud progressive Democrat on issues like social
>justice, choice, gay rights -- without ever having to shift
>positions because of an election year. I am very tough-minded on
>criminal justice issues and economic issues....

Sounds like he's trying to be William Weld. The 4-dot ellipsis is in the original; it's not me doing any tendentious truncation.

Doug