lbo-talk-digest V1 #4733

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 13 10:20:19 PDT 2001

Kenneth MacKendrick wrote:

> Without a normative foundation, social criticism has no carry

This simply is not true. Unless you are claiming that every action has a normative base even if the actor denies it, there is no need whatever for a normative base for the critique of capitalism. I've just about finished in my rereading of _Grundrisse_, and so far I haven't come across any claim that such & such a norm exists, nor does the reader have to infer such a claim. Ditto two other books I've been rereading, _Retreat from Class_ and WITBD.

Norms belong to religion, not political analysis.

The only foundation that I can think of off hand is the turtle the world rests on, and according to one of Russell's interlocutors, it's turtles all the way down.

Carrol