Nation endorses wanker Mark Green for NYC mayor

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 13 10:23:55 PDT 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:

>So what's wrong with Mark Green, who does have a pretty long substantive
>record as a progressive? Probably not perfect but if elected, he'll rank
>as one of the most progressive people elected to the mayorship this century.
>
>He's managed to get support from a range of community activists, the Nation,
>Working Families Party, and so on. What do you know that they don't?

Well start with the part of the quote the Nation excised:

>I am very tough-minded on criminal justice issues and economic issues....

To me that means no end to repression and austerity. I'm very happy he's pro-choice and pro-gay, but so's William Weld. So is Rudy, for that matter.

Very interesting piece in today's NYT <http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/13/nyregion/13GREE.html> about Green's brother the real estate mogul - "The King of Class B" - who's raised big bucks for him from his fellow developers, and who, coincidentally, does millions a year in business with NYC.

Doug