Nation endorses wanker Mark Green for NYC mayor

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Aug 13 14:10:41 PDT 2001

This discussion would not be complete without mention of Judge Bruce Wright, a.k.a. "Let 'Em Loose Bruce." He is or was notorious in NYC for very lenient treatment of persons prior to trial resolution (i.e., little or no bail) and very harsh sentencing of those found guilty.

West Indian dude, pretty militant in his own way. I haven't lived in NYC for 20 years so I haven't kept up w/his career. I wrote a story about him for a tiny upper West Side rag in 1979 or 80.

mbs

Nathan Newman wrote:
>>So what's wrong with Mark Green, who does have a pretty long substantive
>>record as a progressive?

>Well start with the part of the quote the Nation excised:
>I am very tough-minded on criminal justice issues and economic issues....
>To me that means no end to repression and austerity. I'm very happy
>he's pro-choice and pro-gay, but so's William Weld. So is Rudy, for
>that matter.

You base your political opinions on one-line rhetoric? You'd vote for Bush on welfare issues on that basis.

Below is the statement from Green after his endorsement by Working Families Party, which also notes his endorsement by 22 unions and ACORN. Do you really think all of these folks would be signing onto austerity economics?

As for the repression issue, note the sentence below: "And of course it was Mark Green who sued the Giuliani administration and documented the problem of police misconduct, ultimately helping triple the rate of discipline for abusive cops." Hardly Guiliani rhetoric to pack the words "police misconduct", "abusive cops" and "discipline" for those cops into the same sentence. Note also that Green is endorsed by 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement, which has challenged police abuses in the city, and there is talk he may appoint its head Eric Adams as the new police chief. Note the attached endorsement summary of his crime policy.

Here you have a guy who proudly proclaims his support for labor unions, proudly says he is fighting for greater health care for all, and proudly notes his role in fighting police brutality- and you can't see any difference with Guiliani?

It seems your requirement for endorsement is for a candidate to actively marginalize themselves politically, since proudly supporting and being supported by the progressive community is not enough.

====

Working Families Party Endorses Mark Green for Mayor Aug 09, 2001 -- The highly-sought after and much anticipated Working Families Party endorsement today went to Public Advocate Mark Green, as leaders cited Green's record of accomplishment for working families and his vision for better educating children and protecting families.

The Working Families Party, the largest independent party in the City, is the last of the third parties to endorse is this year's Mayoral race. The WFP delivered twice the number of votes of the Liberal Party in the 2000 General Senate election and even outpolled the Republican Party in some districts.

"Mark Green is a tough, independent democrat who has always fought for working families and as Mayor will ensure that all New Yorkers have access to improved schools, affordable housing, safe streets and communities and a living wage," said Julie Kushner, an Executive Committee Member of the WFP. "When workers were subjected to unfair labor practices and unsafe conditions, it was Mark Green who stood up for them. It was Mark Green who exposed how 1.6 million New Yorkers were without health care, 50% more than the national average. And of course it was Mark Green who sued the Giuliani administration and documented the problem of police misconduct, ultimately helping triple the rate of discipline for abusive cops."

"This is the type of leadership we need for New York City," Ms. Kushner concluded. "Mark has shown a remarkable ability to bring all New Yorkers together during this campaign, and has the labor and community support to show for it."

The Working Families Party has 60-plus affiliated organizations, including unions, community groups, tenant associates and advocacy groups. In the 2000 general elections, the WFP received 55,774 in New York City (compared to 29,383 for the Liberal Party) and put over 1,000 volunteers on the street for Election Day.

"I am of course proud of the broad and diverse support we've received from across the City," Public Advocate Green said. "The Working Families Party is more than just an important independent line for the November election. It's a reflection of the labor and community-based support we've built throughout this campaign. As I have been throughout my career, I'm committed to the working families of New York City, to better schools for their children, more affordable housing, a living wage and good working conditions, and safer streets and communities."

"Politically, the Working Families Party endorsement means two things," Green concluded. "First, its 1,000-plus volunteers ensure that on Election Day the Green Team will have the best field operation of any candidate. And second, this endorsement reflects the fact that our campaign has won the most labor support by far of any Mayoral candidate."

Green has been endorsed to date by 22 unions with a combined membership of approximately 300,000. A list is attached. He has also been endorsed by ACORN, the largest grassroots organization in the City.

---

100 Blacks & 100 Latinos In Law Enforcement Endorse Public Advocate Mark Green For Mayor Apr 26, 2001 -- Citing Mark Green's record and plan to further reduce crime while simultaneously reducing police misconduct, Eric Adams, President of 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement and Clark Pena, President of 100 Latinos in Law Enforcement, today endorsed Public Advocate Mark Green for Mayor.

One day after Green delivered a major address on crime prevention, and two days after his announcement speech where he spoke about the need for further crime reduction and the need to unify our City, both Eric Adams and Clark Pena cited the Public Advocate's ability to improve police - community relations and the comprehensive nature of his law enforcement plan.

"I have no doubt that Mark Green will be good for cops and good for the public," Eric Adams said. "Among all of the candidates, he has the unique ability to heal the divisions that have hurt our City. It is essential that we in law enforcement work to improve police-community relations. After years of divisiveness, Mark has the potential to be a leader for all while simultaneously working with us to ensure that we continue the historic reduction in crime."

"Mark Green understands that the best policing requires a good relationship between the community and the cops," Clark Pena said. "When others were quiet, Mark not only spoke out about misconduct - he exposed the problem of poor discipline and proposed steps to improve the CCRB. He has by far the most comprehensive plan to continue the reduction of crime while also putting an end to misconduct. This is the kind of leadership we need in our City."

"I am of course proud to receive the endorsement of these prominent organizations," Public Advocate Mark Green said today. "Who better understands the problems for cops on the beat and the conflict with communities than 100 Blacks and 100 Latinos in Law Enforcement?"

"I firmly believe that together we can continue the fight on crime while also improving relations between the Police Department and all communities. It is essential that New Yorkers feel comfortable with the men and women who each day risk their lives for us - and it is just as important that police officers work with communities to achieve an even greater reduction in crime. As I said at my announcement Tuesday, cops on the beat need allies on the beat, not the us-them attitude that separates cop and community."

In February, Public Advocate Green outlined an eight-point policing plan emphasizing continued crime reductions, smarter policing strategies and improved individual safety. The plan built on the Public Advocate's investigations into police misconduct, juvenile crime, and abuses against women and children; his fight to end mob control of commercial waste disposal; his work on reducing gun violence by urging passage of gun control legislation; his authorship of a law protecting the economic independence of domestic violence victims; and his advocacy for the use of new crime-fighting technologies like DNA "fingerprinting" and making precinct crime data available online

In his speech on crime prevention yesterday, Green laid-out a five-part plan that focused on reducing the triggers to crime by cutting domestic violence in the home and the number of crimes witnessed by children, expanding after-school programs, reducing recidivism, increasing substance abuse treatment, and consolidating the Departments of Probation and Juvenile Justice under one Office of Crime Prevention Initiatives.