lbo-talk-digest V1 #4737

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Mon Aug 13 18:34:52 PDT 2001

Dear Barbie,

Amazing, eh? We've been arguing for over a month now that arguments matter, and that social forms are reproduced communicatively. And all we're getting in return is arguments that arguments don't matter, and communications that society isn't reproduced communicatively.

Since this has gone in circles, now we're into the distinction between ideology and technology, and theory and practice, and normative and objective.

Isn't it ironic? that these are the first issues that Habermas dealt with in 1963 (Between Philosophy and Science: Marxism as Critique and Dogma, Reason, Decision), 1964 (The Analytical Theory of Science and Dialectics and A Positivistically Bisected Rationalism) and 1965 (Knowledge and Human Interests).

ken

See Theory and Practice (trans. 1973) See The Positivist Dispute in German Sociology (trans. 1976). See Knowledge and Human Interests (trans. 1971).