Pro Business guy chides Marxists for "abandoningInternationalism"

Tue Aug 14 07:39:20 PDT 2001

>>> furuhashi.1 at osu.edu 08/13/01 05:50PM >>>

>Leftists have ourselves to blame, in that we have yet to make global
>protests against G8, the WB, the IMF, & the like clearly protests
>against capitalism & imperialism, rather than against "free trade" &
>"globalization." I don't think we'll be able to create the
>internationalist Left & make it grow by letting the other side
>portray us as opponents of "free trade" & "globalization."
>
>(((((((((
>
>CB: I wonder what the masses of workers are listening to and hearing
>with respect to the anti-imperialist protestes (named
>"anti-globalist").

I think we need to "Bring the War Home" so to speak. That's what I was trying to say to Ian:

At 3:02 PM -0400 8/13/01, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>You mean such institutions as the WB & the IMF, multinational
>corporations, etc.? Why not the U.S. government, the preeminent
>institution that keeps The Market going? Why not make it the main
>target?

The question is how, though.

(((((((((

CB: Yes, how's this to be done ? My first thought is try basic experiments like asking working people , everyday contacts, directly what do you think of these protests. I asked somebody last evening following this thread. I guess I will ask some more.

My impression from the vigor of the protests is that the protestors _are_ representative of many more people, who feel vaguely something is wrong with some of this. The issues are very clear cut in some cases, such things as patents in plants, genetically modifying food and then "owning it" gets right to everyone's kitchen table. We need to stir up a little moral panicking to get people's attention.

A next step might be writing letters to the editor and calling in on talk shows ( though those may be rightwing more outside of center cities) just to put the issue of the protest more in the public mind. What are the issues people are protesting about ?

I don't know what a local organization would be . World working class party ?