lbo-talk-digest V1 #4739

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Aug 14 09:27:52 PDT 2001

At 09:10 AM 8/14/01 -0700, Miles Jackson wrote:

>This lays out some basic assumptions in modern societies. I just get
>twitchy when people go from "these are the values and assumptions of
>our society" to "This is the True Path".

"moral universalism is a *historical result. It arose...in the midst of a specific society... To be sure, the gradual embodiment of moral principles in concrete forms of life is not something that can safely be left to hegel's absolute spirit. Rather, it is a function of collective efforts made by sociopolitical movements. philosophy would do well to avoid haughtily dismissing these movement and the larger historical dimension from which they spring." (MC&Ca, p 208)