Gun ownership and mistrust of Fed Govt

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Aug 14 12:32:59 PDT 2001

>GUN OWNERS MORE LIKELY TO DISTRUST THE FEDERAL
>GOVERNMENT
>"For some people, guns represent freedom and the
>ability to protect themselves," Curry said. "Guns are
>seen as a little bit of protection in an otherwise
>chaotic world."
>
>People who don't trust the government may own guns
>because they are afraid that the federal government
>may try to take their rights away, Curry said. Or,
>they may not fear the government itself, but may
>believe the government will not be able to protect
>them from outside forces.

Another, methinks more obvious explanation, is a reverse causal relation - people who own fire arms tend to mistrust the gov't (rather than those who mistrust are more likely to own). A possible reason for that is the KKK mentality ("I can shoot any minority person I want") which the fed curbed a bit during 1960s. Hence the KKK crowd who tends own guns also tends to mistrust the fed for its opposition to lynch mob violence.

In the same vein, black "gangstas" who tend to own guns are also likely to mistrust the gov't who they see as a symbol of "white man's power."

Third, gun ownership often implies participation in certain types of social circles frequented by militia types who are paranoid of the gov't and thus affect the views of other participants.

In other words, being determines consciousness, behavior (ownership) affects ideology (mistrust), not the other way around.

PS. Did the researchers control for being a redneck? (education is NOT a redneck status indicator).

wojtek