Communication

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Aug 14 17:04:49 PDT 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:

> When did capitalism enter its late phase? How do we know? How will we
> know when it's over?

That's my litcritter background showing again. Late capitalism is the English translation for Spaetkapitalismus, which Ernest Mandel famously defined as post-WW II consumer capitalism; it was meant to highlight the fact that it came after "high capitalism" (19th century) and "monopoly capitalism" (late 19th century to WW II).

Nowadays, of course, it's pretty clear the Beast is multinational capitalism.

-- Dennis