Capitalism's rate of decay ( Communication)

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Tue Aug 14 17:53:22 PDT 2001

A concept of Late Feudalism might be of some assistance here. But first: "Lateness" arrives at the point where the scale and scope of capitalist development generated social and political crises, in the course of the 'normal' processes of the business cycle, which threatened the existence of capital. IOW, the point at which the real supersession of capital became an actual possibility. WWI was that point. Keynes and the RR was its sign.

In the 19th century, capital could survive unrestrained boom/bust. After WWI, no longer. It began to envision its own death, and still does (perhaps unconsciously now, repressed).

This process is described in "Empire", BTW - it's one of the better features of the book. It is variously described there as the "real subsumption of labor to capital", the "hybridization of the functions of state", the withering away of civil society "as adequate point of mediation between capital and sovereignty" (p.328), etc. I'd basically describe it as the process of dissolution "into one another" of the social relations, including relations of state, specific to capitalism. You know the quote: "This is the abolition of the capitalist mode of production within the capitalist mode of production itself, and hence a self-abolishing contradiction, which presents itself _prima facie_ as a mere point of transition to a new form of production." The rest, no 'mere question' at all, as it's turned out, is a matter of how quickly we can shove it past the 'point of transition'. (quoted on pg. 325)

It's not to be confused with economic decline, of course. As Lenin off-handedly put it towards the end of "Imperialism" (to paraphrase slightly), "Capitalism grows more that ever". Which brings us to the matter of W. Europe of the 16th & 17th centuries, a time of great economic growth, where no skepticism would be seen as warranted before the description of this period as "Late Feudalism". Why should it be any different for our own time when faced with similar, analogous evidence today?