Materialism of Fools [Was: Where Does Thought Come From?]

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Wed Aug 15 06:37:47 PDT 2001

Carrol:
> >Susanne Langer, in _Philosophy in a New Key_ (circa 1941 -- she was a
> >follower of Whitehead and Cassirer) argued that the question as to the
> >origin of languages (at that time regarded as an illegitimate question)
> >might be answered, and she suggested that ritual preceded language, with
> >language originating then in sounds which to begin with were only
> >accompaniments to ritual. In other words, anyone who seriously starts
> >thinking about how thought begins has to find that beginning in motion
> >which was not itself thought.

I am with Doug on this one: this is the materialism of fools. Anyone who can suggest that ritual is somehow prior to thought is only describing his own lack of clear and rigorous thought about the matter. If ritual refers to anything, it refers to the purposive repetition of action, clearly requiring thought. Check out an introductory anthropology text.

I know that Carrol's philosophy is generally restricted to his collected volumes of Lenin, Stalin and Mao, but even Mao, not exactly a great philosopher, answered a version of Carrol's question [where do correct ideas come from?] with "practice," hardly a suggestion that it came from a process devoid of thought, but from a process of reflection upon the actions taken on the basis of prior thoughts.

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass -- -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20010815/623de89f/attachment.htm>