Gunter Grass on globalisation

Jeffrey David Hyslop hyslopje at pilot.msu.edu
Wed Aug 15 07:23:46 PDT 2001

I believe Noam is arguing that the US is one of the few countries that does not compile a batch of statistics into some sort of Social Health Index - something that takes into account developments that do not show up in GDP, productivity numbers, etc. There are many private efforts, like William Bennett's Index of Cultural Indicators or the Mirignoffs' Index of Social Health, but apparently not a major federal composite.

Is the US really unique in this respect?

Jeff