Vatican

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed Aug 15 12:10:09 PDT 2001

In fact there is a direct lineal descent from the old Papal States to the current Vatican, which is indeed a state, the world's smallest. That is why it has embassies, etc. Part of the Italian risorgimento was motivated by reducing the secular power of the Vatican in Italy, and today it is reduced to just the area of the Vatican itself. So, no it does not pass laws and all that. But, it is more than just a corporate entity, much more. Barkley Rosser ----- Original Message ----- From: <Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 2:29 PM Subject: Re: Vatican