EU

Wed Aug 15 13:50:54 PDT 2001

>>> furuhashi.1 at osu.edu 08/15/01 04:28PM >>>

>((((((((
>
>CB: Right on , J.C. I'm with you on that. The person dying for
>fascists' free of speech, would be dying do that fascists could
>speak for destroying freedom of speech.

I doubt that any non- & anti-fascists have _literally died_ to defend fascists' right to freedom of speech & ever will.

((((((((

CB: The overdramatizing of one's willingess to sacrifice by reference to willingness to die, of course, comes from the speaker mentioned, and is part of the historical American rhetoric on this issue. I think Paine said, I may disagree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it. I merely repeat their exact phrase.

Substitute for "the person dying" , " the person militantly defending". In fact , ACLUers literally go to pretty active lengths to defend fascists rights to speak, as you know, so the substance of this speaker's enthusiasm, if not quite the full extent, is actual not theatre.