EU

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Aug 15 14:26:58 PDT 2001

At 12:03 AM 8/16/01 +0900, jc helary wrote:
>basically if 'speech' is a consumer good, f-o-s equals free trade in that
particular area ? so f-o-s is a tool for capitalists to exploit the masses ? i am wrong in my interpretation ?

Exactly. Marx himself would not have said better.

PS. What I find especially distressing is not that speech and culture became commodified, but that they are a particular type of commodity akin to fast food - fast food for thought if you will. Public discourse and private conversations alike are littered with junk thoughts and opinions dished out by the media & entertainment idustry just as the US diet is littered with heavy doses of nauseatingly syrupy Coke and grease burgers. Yuk!

wojtek