Gunter Grass on globalisation

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Thu Aug 16 14:12:40 PDT 2001

I had already made the point about the non- unitary nature of India. But, I think that it is worth stressing and reiterating. It is not called a subcontinent for nothing. With a billion people it encompasses a range of cultural, linguistic, economic, political, and social differences that are very great, at least as great as what one finds in Europe, for example, and much greater than one finds in larger China.

I agree that the reforms have triggered a tremendous increase in regional inequality, and this is the more telling story. The apparent stasis in rural inequality does indeed mask this great variability between states, with some (generally the better off ones) reducing rural poverty, while the worst off seem to be sinking down lower. In this regard, "U.P. " (Uttar Pradesh) is especially significant as it is the largesst with over 100 million people.

BTW, booming Mumbai (Bombay) in Maharashtra has recently moved into third place on the list of the world's largest metropolitan areas, ahead of New York and Sao Paulo, but still behind #1 Tokyo and #2 Mexico City. Barkley Rosser ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad DeLong" <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 1:18 PM Subject: Re: Gunter Grass on globalisation