A long way to go still.......

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 17 09:30:15 PDT 2001

>Doug, you once pointed out that, in America, the poor could not contribute
>much to national savings. They only control about 3% of the economy, you
>said, so even if they saved 20% of their income, which would be impossible
>anyway, it would only amount to maybe .6% of the national income. I'm
>wondering if what holds true here is true for entire nations that are poor.
>Do poor nations like Mali and Bangladesh need outside investment simply
>because they don't have enough income to invest in themselves? Or could they
>come up with the money to do internal investment if only there was the
>internal political will?

The world structure of relative prices is stacked against them. Because current exchange rates for poor countries are far below purchasing-power-parities, it requires a *huge* proportional sacrifice in terms of current consumption to produce even a small domestically-financed investment effort.

This is one of the biggest of the vicious circles that keeps poor countries poor.

The hope was that opening up international capital markets would make it easier for poor countries to finance industrialization. But as we sit here and look at the United States's $250 billion plus annual trade deficit, it seems that something has gone very wrong. In the aggregate, capital is not flowing from rich countries to poor countries, but from everywhere else to the United States.

There are a number of theories suggesting that the long-run dominant tendency is for open capital flows to cascade from rich to poor, and that this tendency has been masked over the past two decades by temporary factors. But with each year that passes, such theories become less and less credible...

Brad DeLong