Mark Green: Dilettante Wanker or Patrician Liberal?

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Aug 17 11:18:06 PDT 2001

Just because Green has earned the tag of "liberal" does not mean he should get the benefit of the doubt as the lesser evil, especially in a local election. You can be liberal on some things and rotten on others, and liberal on nothing but very good on some things. For instance, Gov Casey of PA (no relation, I presume) was pro-life but very supportive of higher social spending.

The definition of "liberal" tends to arise as if by decision tree, wherein the initial questions are more about things like the environment, civil liberties, and discrimination; mundane things like food, clothing & shelter are deferred till when a candidate gets over the first set of hurdles. Some issues are held to be absolute, while on others great flexibility is afforded. In fact, hardly anything is absolute; most issues run to shades of gray.

mbs