Parallels between Charleston and Sacramento (forwarded)

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at tao.ca
Sat Aug 18 12:29:32 PDT 2001

All over the country support committees are raising money to support the Charleston 5. Some of the same conditions South Carolina conditions exist elsewhere. In South Carolina, a "right to work" state, the attacks on dock workers was in part a reaction to political activity being organized by the mostly Black union. In California, former governor Wilson, pushed to make California a "right to work" state. Governor Davis refused to meet with the state employees' union as required by law and the union's leaders, SEIU 1000, were arrested when they went to his office to demand that negotiations continue. I was a young working mother in a "right to work" state. The weakening of unions and the increased racism and sexism lowered wages and working conditions to an intolerable level. I had no medical or dental care and made only $1 per hour, never making enough to buy enough food. In Carolina, prosecutor Charlie Condon, filed false rioting charges against mostly Black dock workers who were engaging in their legal right to picket. Part of this jerk's motivation is the further his own pursuitt of higher political office. In California, because of cynical media and politician hysteria two ridiculouss initiatives have been passed, the Three Strikes law and Juvenile Justice initiative. These laws take control out of the hands of judges, who are a little less political, and into the hands of district attorneys. DA's who want to run for higher office can determine when to charge a crime or any other activity as a strike (three strike and you are in prison for life) and they can determine whether a child will be charged as an adult. They can also very broadly determine what gang activity is. District attorneys, like Jan Scully in Sacramento, charge rioting where there is none (as in the Zapatista fund raiser event) and charge strikes for misdemeanors. She, like Condon, is destroying families and children to run for higher office. She racistly takes no action when local law enforcement shot a Black man who was reaching for his cell phone and beat up local black high school foot ball player. She has done nothing about the repeatedly beatings and restraint chair torture in our county jails. We only have those rights that we fight for! Stand up before it is too late! Linda Roberts, SEIU 1000 retiree, FACTS member, FRSO 454-9330

------------------------------------------- Macdonald Stainsby Rad-Green List: Radical anti-capitalist environmental discussion. http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/listinfo/rad-green ---- Leninist-International: Building bridges in the tradition of V.I. Lenin. http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/listinfo/leninist-international ---- In the contradiction lies the hope.

--Bertholt Brecht