Dumping

Lawrence lawrence at krubner.com
Sat Aug 18 15:46:13 PDT 2001

There is much that confuses me about this situtation and perhaps someone on this list can set me straight. "Dumping" is when countries sell something in America for less than they sell it domestically, right? Why dump when the dollar is over-valued? Doesn't a strong dollar allow you to "dump" in way that is totally legal? I mean, you can still under price American producers, even if you charge what you charge domestically?

Why dump at all? Is that simply because non G7 countries have non-convertible currencies and are therefore desperate to come up with foreign exhcange? Is all dumping government subsidized, or is there purely private sector dumping too?

On another note, leaving aside for the moment the issue of the WTOs morality, and the morality of free trade, is the WTO fair by its own measures? Does it enforce rules on all countries evenly? Does it have an obvious bias toward the US? If it merely has a bias to free trade, then I would conclude that it is being fair by its own rules, but is that its only bias?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Robert Dean" <qualiall_2 at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2001 9:16 AM Subject: Dumping