America's low savings rate

Maria Gilmore maria.gilmore at gte.net
Sun Aug 19 10:06:18 PDT 2001

And what about matching contributions from employers? Are those figured in as contributions also?

Another soundbite one-liner calculated to scare that often goes with the factoid about the low savings rate would be, "Americans don't save because we spend every penny we get...regardless of income!" That is, if you're low-income, okay, you have nothing left over to save, but even those making good money CHOOSE TO BLOW ALL THEIR PAYCHECKS AT THE MALL! Or on car payments on brand new SUVs, or gigantic mortgages on big houses, or credit card debt that they never reduce... I wonder how true this really is. Retail is really having a tough time right now; the Back To School push is on, but they're not spending at the malls...in fact the entire summer has sucked. The tax rebate money is being viewed as a possible lifesaver, and retail is begging consumers to spend it, but dammit, they are not.