Who Moved Elizabeth Powers' Cheese?

David B. Hearne ottercrk at sover.net
Sun Aug 19 17:33:39 PDT 2001

on 8/20/01 9:30 AM, Brad DeLong at jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu wrote:

>> On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 10:45:23 -0700 Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net>
>> writes:
>>>
>> and I find this from the theo-cons at
>>> First
>>> Things!
>>>
>>> http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9512/powers.html
>>
>> A most amusing piece, can you spell "ressentiment"? Powers' piece
>> reeks of it.
>>
>> Jim F

Powers accuses liberals of being monolithic in their thoughts, but her piece follows the template (or "contours" as she might put it) of late 20th-century conservative rhetoric so closely that it might have been written by a computer. It's as if she read Barbara Ehrenreich's "Fear of Falling" and set out to emulate everything Ehrenreich described about the right-wing backlash. I was particularly amused by Powers' obsession with cheese. I ate Velveeta in my youth, she declares, therefore I understand the common man's experience.

However, I noticed that this piece was published in 1995. Do any cons -- theo, neo or otherwise -- write like this anymore? Based on the little I have seen, I'm assuming this odd kind of populism has diminished. Or am I mistaken?

-- David