America's low savings rate

Lawrence lawrence at krubner.com
Tue Aug 21 02:48:17 PDT 2001

>From 15 fallacies of financial fundamentalism: "Inflation occurs when
sellers raise prices; they can do this profitably when the forces of competition are weakened by the differentiation of products, real and factitious, misleading advertising, obfuscating sales gimmicks and package deals, mergers and takeovers, and the increasing importance of ancillary services, trade secrets, patents, copyrights, economies of scale, overheads, and start-up costs. Inflation can and does occur in the midst of underutilized resources, and need not occur even if we were to consume our capital by failure to maintain and replace it, consuming more than we produce. http://www.cfeps.org/public/VickreyWP1.htm "

Is this true? Have other economists accepted this view? Does this man have followers who are pursuing further research in this line? The implication, if I read it right, is that inflation, especially the permanence it's gained since WWII, is not a product of too much spending, but a product of all the weapons in the arsenal of the business community (advertising, patents, copyrights)? That seems like a lot of monopoly rent. I know a lot of liberals who've argued that inflation in no way limits the real growth of the economy. But doesn't this whole bit suggest the opposite? It suggests that inflation is the product of a massive amount of parasitism. Is that truly not harmful?