Empire or Not? A Quiet Debate Over U.S. Role

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Tue Aug 21 14:23:18 PDT 2001

At 12:35 AM 8/21/01 -0400, you wrote:

Nye and Kohn are right, probably because they are "arguing with reality", rather than with Donnelly. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see if Nye overestimates "the other forms of power" (as I suspect he will), since military might really is the main lever which amplifies the others. Without it, "soft power" would shrivel and die.

But the time is certainly propitious for ruling class debate.

-Brad Mayer