Ouch

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Aug 21 15:24:22 PDT 2001

got this on a resume i was scanning since i'm in the process of hiring a couple of people:

>* Invited to join small group of PR professionals advising the
>Conservative Party in the run-up to and throughout the 1992 General
>Election in Britain

Aside from the hilarity of hiring someone who'd consult UKcons, what was even more sad was that this person was waaaaaaaay overqualified for the job. Are things as bad as they seem from the perspective of the IT world? We put an ad in the local paper and on two sites, one for tech-writers, the other for copy editors. My boss even had the audacity to insist that we write, "willing to overwork for underpay". I then described it, otherwise, as entry-level but plenty of places to go for anyone with initiative and creativity.

We're just inundated with apps from people who are over-qualified. Seriously overqualified with high-level skills that, in the past, commanded 40-50 clams an hour. We're considering paying a fraction of that! I've talked to a few folks and, man, they sound desperate. Bah. So much for prosperity driving the revo.

kelley