United Mine Workers of America

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 16:02:51 PDT 2001

Doug,

As for WV going Bush it is important to remember one thing (WV has historically been very Democrat). The economy in the southern part of the state was based almost exclusively on the mine industry. The mine industry went belly-up in the 80s In the small town in southern WV where I grew up in, Welch, there is around 50 percent unemployment. People are desperate for work and no doubt Bush's promises to develop coal played on their desperation.

As for Charlottesiville and Virginia...yes, there is a lot of conservatism there among the middle-class...but there are radicals there too. However, I have to agree that it's hard to find anyone more obnoxious than blue-blood virginians.

Thomas