The content of our subjectivity

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed Aug 22 11:19:36 PDT 2001

At 07:37 PM 08/21/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>but the content of our
>subjectivity is incomparably richer (better medical care, new and
>interesting narratives, mass scientific education, and the relative
>freedom to sit back and complain about all that junk on TV, instead of
>planting rice seeds or harvesting wheat by hand).

This strikes me as nonesense. The continual barrage of commercial propaganda is as effective as ever and turns most people into complete idiots. And, if the content of our subjectivity is so much better, where are our Checkhovs? our Tolstoys? our Orwells? our Lessings? and so on. Look at movies--the outstanding twentieth century art forms--our most touted directors, like Spielberg, are nothing more than derivative wannabes. There hasn't been anything going on there for well over forty years.

Joann Bujes