Statement denying parole for Kathy Boudin

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Wed Aug 22 15:54:08 PDT 2001

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-ny--boudin-parole-sta0822aug22.story?coll=ny%2Dap%2Dregional%2Dwire

Statement denying parole for Kathy Boudin

August 22, 2001

The statement issued by the New York state Board of Parole denying parole for Kathy Boudin:

After a full review of the record and interview, the panel has determined that notwithstanding your positive response to the requirements of institutionalization, as documented by your disciplinary and program records, that due to the violent nature and circumstances of the instant offenses, your release at this time would be incompatible with the welfare of society and would serve to deprecate the seriousness of the criminal behavior herein so as to undermine respect for the law. ----- In short, twenty years of unquestioned exemplary service to others in prison are irrelevant to parole. She could have won the Nobel Peace Prize and it would have made no difference under this rationale. Consider the DA's comment at sentencing...

> Whether Miss Boudin is capable of rehabilitation cannot be determined
> by anyone at this time That is a question that the Parole Board will
> have to decide... Her success, Miss Boudin's success
> or failure in this respect rests entirely, entirely, in her hands
> dependent on her future course of conduct and action.

Or the Judge's...

> When we negotiated and bargained for the imposition of a minimum
> period, I settled upon a period of time that I honestly believe was
> right, that represented a just result.

No, the parole board - after an intense campaign by the police - resentences Kathy 'cause they disagree with the Judge who heard the case & not for anything that has happened in the last twenty years.

My friend and co-counsel Len Weinglass is being quoted on AP as saying that this action by the parole board "undermines respect for the law." Exactly.

john mage