"Corporate Responsibility" - BAT

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Wed Aug 22 22:46:29 PDT 2001

Amid new allegations that Britsh American Tobacco has been colluding in cigarette smuggling, it is interesting to visit their attractive website.

There we see the modern face of global finance capital. Under "Corporate Citizenship" we read

>As part of this commitment, we have accepted a request from Nottingham
>University in the UK to help finance and support a new International
>Centre for Corporate Social Responsibility at the University's Business
>School. The Centre will develop a research and teaching programme in this
>important area of business activity, helping to put corporate social
>responsibility firmly on the mainstream business agenda. Our involvement
>not only stems from our long association with supporting management and
>business education. We welcome the opportunity it offers us to be part of
>the learning as this important new business discipline develops.

http://www.bat.com/

Guardian article on new evidence, rather embarrassing for Conservative Party europhile leadership candidate, Ken Clarke, who was recruited as deputy chairman of BAT:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/smoking/Story/0,2763,541133,00.html

Chris Burford

London