Racist Comedy?

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Thu Aug 23 06:25:52 PDT 2001

Last night, on "Politically Incorrect," there was a rather heated, but, sadly, stupid discussion about racism in comedy. It was based on a joke made July 11 by the comedian Sarah Silverman during an appearance on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien." She was talking about how people will do anything to get out of jury duty, including pretending that they're racist. When she was called for duty, she looked for a way out:

"My friend is like, 'Why don't you write something inappropriate on the form, like -- I hate chinks.' " Silverman said. "But I don't want people to think I was racist, so I just filled out the form and I wrote, 'I love chinks.' And who doesn't?"

Well, this got one Guy Aoki of the Media Action Network stirred up, and he demanded a public apology. Silverman has refused. (NBC and O'Brien, however, did issue apologies.) The two of them appeared on "PI" last night and basically spat at each other (Silverman finally erupted and yelled "You're a douchebag, man!").

So, the question for the list is : Can a Jewish comedian use the term "chinks" in a joke about racism that is not in itself racist?

Aoki said that only members of a specific tribe can use abusive terms about that tribe. Silverman, and for the record, I, disagree. Context is everything. I was sorry that Lenny Bruce's famous bit about "n-words" wasn't brought up (the idea is that if you say a word enough times it begins to lose its power).

For background, I've provided two links below.

http://www.janet.org/~manaa/home.html

http://www.geocities.com/we_want_sarah/observatory.html

DP -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20010823/6cf554ca/attachment.htm>