The Surplus's effect on money supply

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 17:58:13 PDT 2001

> Credit money is created by private actors - e.g., a
> bank making a
> loan. Central banks can provide the money to
> validate such private
> credit creation (which they do in normal times), or
> they can refuse
> (as they do when they're tightening). If they
> refuse, the system runs
> short of liquidity & seizes up.

OK, but this is what I don't understand: the mechanism by which the Fed is supposed to inject or withdraw money into the system is by buying and selling treasury securities. But if the Treasury itself is running a surplus, isn't the supply of securities (and thus of money) going to decrease no matter what the Fed does? I guess I just don't understand the relationship between the Fed and the Treasury...

Jim Baird