Racist Comedy?

ravi gadfly at home.com
Thu Aug 23 20:42:09 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> / dave / wrote:
>
>> Pshaw. A revolution without laughter is doomed...
>
> "Do not think that one has to be sad in order to be militant, even
> though the thing one is fighting is abominable." - Foucault

possibly, but the more relevant issue might be whether it is necessary or useful to be funny (some might consider humour a different thing) in order to make a positive difference (substitute "to carry out militant revolt" if that is your cup of tea). i do not want to belabour the point and i do appreciate the value of humour in any endeavour, especially when confronting entrenched power. i will limit myself to responding to dennis, in order to keep my posts down. the points are pragmatic and procedural ones.

--ravi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- man is said to be a rational animal. i do not know why he has not been defined as an affective or feeling animal. more often i have seen a cat reason than laugh or weep. perhaps it weeps or laughs inwardly - but then perhaps, also inwardly, the crab resolves equations of the 2nd degree. -- alasdair macintyre.