populism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 24 08:28:15 PDT 2001

[posted from non-sub'd address]

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:34:04 -0500 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com From: "t. c. frank" <t-frank-3 at alumni.uchicago.edu>

Doug:

Not that it matters, but Ben Tillman wasn't a Populist. According to Lawrence Goodwyn, the leading historian of Populism, Tillman was actually responsible for killing Populism in South Carolina. He was a Democratic loyalist whenever it mattered. Maybe a lower-case "p" populist, but not the real thing.