Racist Comedy?

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 12:32:56 PDT 2001

> The choice of the word "chinks" was a politically
> safe one for Sarah
> Silverman, in that if she had used "n-words" in the
> same joke, it
> would have made the joke more politically
> provocative,

This is exactly what I thought when I heard about this mini-controversy. She purposely picked the most inoffensive racist term she could find. (after all, in the racial heirarchy of the U.S., the Chinese are considered "hononary whites") My guess is, she counted on everyone metally substituring the word "n-word" for "chink". Of course, if she had actually used the word "n-word", there would have been dead silence in the room. One of the problems with attempts to use comedy as political commentary - anything which works as one isn't likely to work as the other...

Jim Baird