Demand Side Sex Worker Theory?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Aug 25 06:25:08 PDT 2001

LeoCasey at aol.com wrote:

>First, I read an excerpt from a novel with Doug interviewing some sex worker
>type on the radio on LBO-Talk, then, on the way home, I hear Doug
>interviewing a sex worker novelist, a closet Nietzschean sex worker who can't
>stand the 'democratic' idea that every women could embrace her 'whore' side
>because it would skew the supply and demand equation of sex work. The first
>inkling of the 'demand side' theory of sex work, no doubt.
>
>Art imitating art? Or life imitating life?

Well, it was the same novelist in both cases - Tracy Quan, author of the new book, Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl. I had her on the show several years ago to talk about sex work, and she wrote up the incident in somewhat fictionalized form in the novel. (Unlike the novelized version, there were no calls on the real show, and I'm never earnest.)

She's quite right-wing, as you noticed - a self-described libertarian and capitalist (though a petty producer rather than an exploliter of wage labor). When I mentioned the name Susie Bright (whom I've also had on the show a couple of times, once in an interview recorded in my livingroom - never have I been so star-struck), Quan made a face, and railed against the "democratization of sluttishness." Quan's also a big fan of the modesty women, like Shalit & Crittenden; public virtue, it seems, sustains private commercial vice of the sort that allows Quan & Co. to charge several hundred dollars an hour.

Doug