Populism

Lawrence lawrence at krubner.com
Sun Aug 26 00:43:50 PDT 2001

> >From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com>
> I'm no scholar of populism, but it's mainly struck me as deeply petty
> bourgeois politics - not against capitalists, just big capitalists;
> not against money, just big money; not against a system of private
> property enforced by money, but just for easy credit. ...

Basically, you feel its not far enough to the left, that it might sometimes be liberal and reformist, but it isn't total or sweeping enough?

> It denounces finance, without noticing the connections of
> finance to ownership, or the fact that the whole end of capitalist
> production is not the satisfaction of needs or the making of neat
> things, but the accumulation of capital.

Basically, you feel it isn't theoretical enough, the analysis doesn't go deep enough, the people in the movement don't make all the connections that you'd like them too?

> It's a shallow form of class
> politics that ..

Isn't this a criticism you'd make of the liberals too?