Fallwell on Helms

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Aug 26 09:23:13 PDT 2001

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema wrote:

>Many leftists may think this is simple foolishness, or even paranoia,
>but consider how the solid verities of a couple of decades ago actually
>have changed.

You're right. I started writing a response yesterday to Max's assertion that we live in a conservative culture, but time was short and I wasn't happy with what I'd typed, so I trashed it. But in many ways this isn't a conservative culture, even though the conservatives have a disproportionate share of the soapboxes. "Traditional" attitudes towards sex, gender roles, childrearing, and lots of other things have been completely turned upside down over the last 30 years. Conservatives' ire about The Sixties may seem pretty funny, but their despair over having lost the culture wars is pretty justified. We - i.e., those lefties who aren't cultural conservatives, closeted or open - should be happy about this.

Doug