Goodwyn on the present, or 1989

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sun Aug 26 14:30:35 PDT 2001

Yup, I was in the midst of the little populist-revival circuit when Goodwyn uttered those words. And yes, his mix of farm/labour 'bama and anti-communist E.European trade unionism struck me as untenable, even then in the heady days of financial blowback.

So, recalling back 12 years, Goodwyn didn't persuade me to stick around with those various populist campaigns. The theory we were working with at the time, was that Acorn, Jesse J, some good labour people fighting banks via corporate campaigns and pension rights, and a motley collection of internationalists, would get an 1890s-style mass movement going.

After 1982-87 TW debt crisis, 1984 Contilly bankruptcy, 1987 Wall Street crash and 1988-89 S&L meltdown came and went and nothing happened, it became clear that Kism had a few more years of financial puffery left... even after junkbonds and real estate tanked in 1989-91...

Off I went to Zimbabwe a few weeks after hearing Goodwyn, ne'er to return to yankee anti-banking populism (except for a 1990 C&C article and periodic contact with Tom Schlesinger and the good folk at Financial Markets Center).

I think that was the right decision. Max, Tom S. and Jane D'Arista and might dispute the prospects, but actually I think you've been right on this all along, Doug. A much deeper critique of K has to happen, in all sorts of ways, before we can go back to the fundamental problem of finance and capitalist crisis. (I still think that struggle is a rematch of Grossmann v. Hilferding, but that's another story.)

Things are really looking up here in Jo'burg, by the way. After trying to get some anti-banking populism going, the SA Communist Party has moved quickly left to join workers who are this week embarking on a terrific mass strike against privatisation. They are not necessarily going to lose, even though Thabo Mbeki is hopping mad at the left challenge. Even the mainstream press in SA today was going wild on the failure of neoliberalism, including a fantastic cartoon of our finance and privatisation ministers playing to the WB/IMF tune, in the main "populist" newspaper.

Y'all keep an eye on our Indymedia site for more, especially in relation to the Durban conference on racism, starting in a couple of days: http://southafrica.indymedia.org

P.