Open Source capitalists

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Aug 27 14:12:29 PDT 2001

At 12:32 AM 8/27/01 -0700, Lawrence wrote:
>There was a brief article today on osonline stating that IBM was giving up
>its unix OS and switching to Linux. That has interesting implications. The
>Open Source movement is the most successful communal effort ever at building
>something of value. Now a large capitalist power wants to stake its future
>on that movement. IBM is giving up AIX, something they've invested billions
>in over the years, and instead will try to be good members of the open
>source community. What will capitalism think of next?
>
>http://osonline.org/linux/index.phtml?storyID=957

seems like the same old same old if you ask me.

open source is academia without the ivy covered halls. capitalism has always used the uni system to build ideas and create applications, right. in the uni system, research is collaborative, often designed to meet a specific task at hand but then generalized to be applicable to a wider community and it is funded by endowments and the US gubmint (.mil research, for example).

whereas intellectuals and academics were seen, in marx's day, as a class that could swing either way, open source developers seem less likely to be as uh dynamic.

kelley