racist comedy (aside)

Gregory Geboski ggeboski at union.org.za
Tue Aug 28 09:02:16 PDT 2001

I always thought that the central conceit was lifted from Gogol's "Dead Souls." This largely evidence-free conclusion is based in part on Brooks's follow-up movie, a version of Ilf and Petrov's "Twelve Chairs," which suggested to me a possible Brooks familiarity with Gogol... A big difference is that Brooks's criminal scheme is much more rational than Gogol's...

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:02:44 +0100 (BST)

... --- Sent from UnionMail Service [http://mail.union.org.za]